Sunday, August 9, 2009

Another Coconut Discovery

Recently I've been learning about the powers of coconut, how it's a medium chain triglyceride therefore your body can break down the fat much faster and easier compared to animal fat, that it's good for your skin, can be anti-fungal anti-bacterial, just LOADS of good stuff about something I've always loved but never really explored much...


Well, coconut milk will now ensure that I can remain on my semi-vegan track and still have ice cream!

I tried Coconut Bliss for the first time yesterday, and wow, it is so good, I'd even go as far as to say that it is better than regular ice cream. It's full fat and calories, but it's not milk fat, it's a plant based fat from the coconut milk. Not to mention it taste great in frozen beverages, but it also comes in loads of flavors. My favorite, surprisingly, was the Mint Galactica (mint with dark chocolate flakes) and the Naked Coconut. Most people loved the Vanilla and the Chocolate Hazlenut. I cannot wait to try the other flavors. If you see this in the grocery store you MUST try it, it is well worth the price because Coconut Bliss uses all organic and fair trade ingriedients, and the topper--they don't use sugar, they use Agave nectar!


This is a link to the nutritional info that Luna and Larry provide on their ice cream, and it basically explains why coconut milk and agave are the best choice for ice cream:
If you've never used Agave I highly recommend trying to make the switch, I still love honey, and still believe that local honey really helps to control my allergies, but this type of sweetner is lower on the glycemic index so it does not make your blood sugar go up and spike and cause sugar crashes. I started using it slowly and now that I'm used to it in everyday things like coffee, granola, salad dressings, dips, etc I'm ready to start exploring with it in baked goods.
Any suggestions?
It's Sunday Funday! Time to mulch the yard :)







No comments:

Post a Comment