Thursday, August 13, 2009

Whole Fish without a clue

I was feeling brave the other night when I was shopping for my weekly seafood pick and I bought a whole pompano, for two reasons really, one it was inexpensive and two, I wasn’t sure I’d ever had it before.

Well turns out, Ryan needed the night off from cooking so I went and got my favorite Vegan burrito and he had tacos last night. The burrito was stuffed with artichokes, spinach, tomatoes, onions, and peppers. It is seriously good, and served with a jicama slaw. I wish I didn’t like it so much. It’d be easy to make, but we needed a fast fix and wanted a margarita.

Enjoying the burrito last night left me at the point I am now…with a whole Pompano and not a clue what to do with it. Ryan was going to grill it, but the mosquitoes are SO bad, I cannot manage to throw the ball with Oden must less stand patiently over a hot flame while I get munched. So I’m going back to the only other way I’ve cooked a whole fish before, in the oven! I remember that Jeff had told me that Pompano, like Amberjack and Tuna, is a member of the Jack family. I figured it would lend itself to baking, and spicy flavors.

Heather had so sweetly volunteered to gut it for me when I bought it, and so I stuffed some fresh herbs inside it along with some lemon and a bit of olive oil. I clipped the fins off but left the head and tail in tack. The herbs I used were rosemary, oregano, and thyme. Salt, Pepper, a bit of Chili Powder went in too.
I wrapped the fish in aluminum foil…and am patiently waiting for the results. I’m also baking some red potatoes, squash from the garden, and plan on slicing into an heirloom tomato… Yikes! The timer just went off… I’ll post pics tomorrow.

If you’re wondering about dessert…… Coconut Bliss with ginger snaps OF COURSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment