Monday, August 3, 2009

This is the beginning...



I just ran 6 miles, okay okay so I walked 2 out of the six. I'm still a bit shaky, but proud. The Tomato 5K is this Saturday. A fresh tomato Bloody Mary is motivation enough for me to cross that finish line as fast as I can. After my run today I rewarded myself with a new discovery for me, a personalized Green Lemonade, from the juice doctor at Whole Foods, and an almond butter and jelly sammy.



Green Lemonade:

Apple, Kale, Spinach, Celery, Lemon, and I like a bit of Ginger


Yum! I'm getting myself ready for this new lifestyle, the past two weeks I've been easing myself into it. Cutting all cow’s milk products, red meat, chicken, and now I am ready for full immersion.
I've gotten my taste buds used to Almond Milk in my coffee and tempeh in my spaghetti, but man oh man do I miss cheese!!!!
Yet, after reading just a bit of The China Study I can't let myself do it. Good thing there is a local goat farm here in Tennessee! And who really likes cow’s milk anyway? Almond milk is cheaper and lasts longer in the fridge, so it's double the goodness. There's that positive energy I've been hoping my morning Goji Berry shots were going to give me! So, exercising more often and changing my diet is indirectly also changing the lives of those I love, especially my husband Ryan who has been patiently eating tofu tacos, tempeh spaghetti, and black bean burgers every night. He is not totally sold on this semi-vegan diet, but I can tell he is secretly enjoying it all and supportive of my happiness and health.

Tonight, I’m having a friend over for a quick eat before we go see Julie & Julia. I’m making Garden Risotto with Cajun tofu, a green salad with cucumber, and maybe a mojito! If I’m up for it, I’ll post some pictures later.

Garden Risotto:

Arborio Rice (about 2 cups)

3 Tomatoes (I had Roma's)

1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into bite size pieces

1 Zucchini, cut into bite size pieces

1 Yellow Squash (crookneck), cut into bit size pieces

5 cloves of Garlic, minced

1 Onion, diced

2 jalepenos

Splash of white wine if you've got it

3 cups Vegetable Stock

Saute onions, garlic, peppers, and garlic for about 5-7 minutes at medium high heat. Then add remaining vegetables. Saute for about 5 more minutes. Add rice to veggies. Add about 1/5 of the water. Stir constantly. When water has absorbed, add another 1/5. Repeat process until risotto is al dente (takes about 30-40 minutes.)

Serve with pecorino romano (a Sheep's Milk cheese kind of like parmesean) and with tofu or alone. If you were going to do seafood I'd go with shrimp or scallops.

No comments:

Post a Comment