Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pot of Beans


So the reason why I haven't posted in a bit is honestly because I've been eating on the same things!

On Saturday night, I made a big pot of beans. I used some from the farmers stand and some from our back yard. There were lady peas, limas, purple hulls, and some dark purpley black beans (name?) with a white flesh.


I've been hearing how legumes are ridiculously good for you, full of protein and fiber. I love chickpeas and refried beans, and in the winter lentil soup. But I hadn't really thought of summer time being the time for a big pot of beans, well I proved myself wrong. It's been fueling me for days.

I also used my bamboo steamer which was a gift, to steam some carrots and some "Snaps" aka Green Beans.
Last night, a friend came over and I made Tomatoes Provencal since tomatoes are so in season right now. I used an heirloom that was purplish, an orange tomato, a yellow tomato, and a red tomato. I topped the tomatoes with a bit of olive oil, lemon zest, whole wheat bread crumbs, fresh thyme and baked it in the oven. Then instead of parmesan cheese I used nutritional yeast. It was fantastic, and a great way to celebrate the fabulous tomatoes we are getting right now. The picture to the right is one I pulled from the Whole Foods Market Website, mine looked different because I sliced them instead of stuffing them. I forgot to take a picture, but I want everyone to get the idea.
I also fixed a mixed green salad that had spinach, roasted beets, walnuts, and a balsamic vinaigrette. To top off our summer meal I grilled corn Ryan style...which means wrapped in aluminum foil with lime juice, cumin, and a bit of oil (Ryan would've used butter, I used Coconut Butter.)
For dessert, we had fresh sliced cantelope, pluots ( a hybrid between a plum and an apricot), and South Carolina peaches with....Coconut Bliss Vanilla. That was the best part!
Liz brought over Adelsheim Pinot Gris and it went wonderfully with the light summer vegan feast!
Tonight, I'm baking some vegan banana bread with some extra ripe bananas I brought home from work. I'll post a recipe and pics tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment