Friday, August 14, 2009

Sweet Potato FryDay

Dinner last night turned out great, but not exactly picture worthy. That was my fault, I may be so-so at cooking a whole fish, but then serving it and having decent presentation, not so much. The highlight of the meal for me was the heirloom tomato. I learned today that the one I had was called a Cherokee. The pompano was very moist and buttery flavored, but not a favorite of mine.
Today was the first day of school. I was up at 5:45 and at school at 7 am! I had no idea I would miss the kids so much. I can’t wait to be their afterschool mentor/friend/tutorer again even if it is for just one afternoon a week. I’ve established a relationship with these kids, and I really hope I am making some kind of difference in their lives, or at least making school a more pleasant place to be. I am also having a bit of an effect on their nutrition, I went shopping with Ms. Peggy for after school snacks for the kids and pretty much showed her what we should serve and how to find that affordably. We bought snack for about 2 weeks for under $100. We even were able to get some Organic things, but we bought nothing that contained artificial sweetners, high fructose corn syrup, and with me being there.... no animal products either….hehe. I’m sure she’ll end up getting milk because the Department of Health Services requires it or juice with our snacks….Yet they do not provide the funding for our small non-profit to be able to buy Organic Milk….That’s another tangent and issue…

I got home tonight and wasn’t feeling to good, it started this morning with an upset stomach and I had a bit of a fever. I didn’t have much of an appetite, but I at some Cajun tofu, some sesame noodles, and raw kale salad for lunch. Who could resist? Those are my three favorite....well except for the chicken fried tofu but I try not to eat that so often. Anyways, I'm still not hungry and it’s 9:30pm….. That’s how I know something’s not quite right.
Ryan’s grandma, after meeting me for the first time, said, “You only married him ‘cause you like to eat.” I think she was kind of joking, but she was partially correct, I do enjoy food!
I also usually prefer to be snuggled under a blanket....Right now I don't want snacks or my nap blanket, it's weird.
I hate being off track so in order to fix my current state I took a shot of Noni, drank a coconut water in case I was dehydrated, and am making some purple sweet potato fries (they are the only thing that sounds good to me right now.) I also ate a small smidge of ginger. Noni isn’t really the super fruit that best removes heat from the body, that’s Mangosteen I think, but Noni works for pretty much everything so one extra shot couldn’t hurt.
Here’s my remedy…



Noni with fresh ginger Purple Sweet Potato Fry...
This picture does not do the purple color justice.
For a better idea about the taters go here... www.saurapride.com/
Hoping to feel better in the am!
PS: Reading the China Study is starting to overwhelm me. I feel smarter, and more aware, but I'm also now more concerned for the health of those I love.
Mom if your reading this....don't eat McDonalds for lunch anymore, PLEASE, I LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment